The Auburn Church of the Nazarene is committed to making a difference in the lives of people in our community. Five years ago the leadership team asked this question:
If our church were suddenly removed from the community, would anyone notice?
With this thought in mind, a research project followed to locate needs around us that we could address. The following areas of need were discovered:
- Children and youth who were hungry for a hot, nutritious meal.
- Children and youth who were displaced because of drug arrests that took from them the significant adults in their lives.
- Children and youth who needed a place to play sports regardless of their level of skill or ability.
- Children who were falling behind in school and needed positive role models.
These areas of need led the congregation to involvement in:
- providing meals on Wednesday nights (See Cup of Cold Water tab),
- providing care packages for displaced children (See Covered with Love tab),
- establishing the Upward Basketball and Cheerleading Christian athletic program,
- providing homework help in area elementary schools and after school care for children in the Garrett school system.
- Partnering with Care 2 Learn Tutoring. Care 2 Learn is a local faith-based organization that provides a variety of high quality educational services to students of all ages.